PRESS RELEASE: Smart tips for festive savings this Christmas
Pick n Pay is committed to offering our customers a great range at the lowest possible prices. We know many people are feeling financial pressure and are looking at ways to save money wherever they can over the Festive Season. We want to help them do that and empower our customers to make informed choices when shopping with us.
There are a number of ways consumers can keep within their budget, and we're delighted to be in a position to help them.
Firstly, customers can take advantage of special discount promotions and house brand goods (Pick n Pay's No Name, PnP, and Finest) and keep a careful eye on the transparent pricing we have on shelves, which very clearly shows the price per unit of weight. This empowers consumers to make much more informed decisions because they can see exactly what an item costs. As a result, depending on the unit price and their individual needs, they may choose to buy either a smaller pack or a bigger one - ultimately getting the best product for them at the best possible price.
Poultry and seafood products: Both fish or chicken can be bought either fresh or frozen.
* Chicken is generally cheaper as it is more easily farmed and produced than fish.
* Furthermore, consumers can also save money by opting to buy chicken as individual frozen portions.
* When it comes to fish, baby hake sold as loose portions is the more affordable type of fish sold in our stores.
Christmas and summer promotions:
* This year we expect our range of PnP turkeys to sell particularly well.
* Our Christmas meat hampers are always popular with shoppers and this year customers will be able to stock up on hampers containing delicious boneless gammon and corned beef.
* Pick n Pay butchery will also be running specials and promotions on braai meat for summer holiday braais; consumers should look out for excellent specials on our thick-cut meat range especially.
Fruit and Vegetables:
* A very convenient way to save is to buy fresh vegetables as they are generally cheaper than frozen vegetable packs.
* Another trick is to choose the most suitable size of fruit for one's particular needs. The price of fruit, sold either loose or pre-packed, will depend on the size of the fruit. Larger fruit is generally more expensive as it is usually an export product.
* Because there are additional labour requirements in the packing of pre-packaged fruit which will ultimately affect the price of these goods, the general rule is to buy loose vegetables and fruit where possible. Packaging, while convenient, is much more expensive.
* Opt for summer seasonal fruits such as grapes, apricots, mangoes, litchis, peaches, plums, nectarines, strawberries, and fresh cherries - seasonal fruits are cheaper than out of season fruits.
We will also have special liquor gifting options at promotional prices.
* Maize products are generally more affordable than wheat products.
* It's also useful to note that brown bread flour is slightly cheaper than white bread flour and bread baked at any of our in-store bakeries will be the cheapest option.
Take advantage of promotions
At any given time Pick n Pay runs hundreds of price promotions and shoppers are encouraged to look out for these in the daily press and in our stores. Consumers should also compare the advertised price with other brands available on the shelf.
Take advantage of our specials by visiting www.picknpay.co.za for all our savings. We've added a Christmas section this year, offering menus for festive meals, and catering for all budgets.
Make use of smart shopper
It's also a good idea to make full use of the smart shopper reward programme which now has more than seven million members. Smart shoppers are rewarded for their loyalty to Pick n Pay by being given real cash rewards that they can exchange at the smart shopper kiosk in store and use to pay for purchases at the till. Many of our smart shoppers use their accumulated points at Christmas and this is always a good idea to cut down on expenses. It's also a good idea to keep an eye on specials where we offer double or triple point deals on certain products. Smart shopper has added a number of innovations to the loyalty programme this year including a 10% Instant Savings as you shop. This means that on hundreds of products smart shoppers will get an instant discount, while still accumulating smart shopper points.
Value-added services that save cash
Pick n Pay offers a huge range of e-tailing and third party payment options to clients. By offering our clients a range of third party services customers save on travelling from one destination to another, and that's a saving in petrol costs.
* By making use of our money transfer system at our tills customers can send money to anyone, anywhere in the country at a very low charge. This cuts down on bank costs for our customers.
* You can also draw cash at any of our till points on your debit card at a cheaper rate than from an ATM, even your own bank's ATM.
* If you have to courier goods make use of our Berco courier service. It's easy and convenient and saves you money and time, all you have to do is buy a Berco bag at the till and pop it in the Berco collection box in store.
* Apart from these services you can pay any EasyPay bill at Pick n Pay.
* And, if you're looking for a gift that will give the recipient a chance to buy something they really need, look out for our new range of gift cards on sale at our tills.
You can also save yourself time and travelling expenses by registering and using our online shopping service.
Please quote Jonathan Ackerman Customer Director Pick n Pay